Ontario:
Welland

The city of Welland is in the centre of Niagara Region and located within a half-hour driving distance to Niagara Falls, Niagara-On-The-Lake, St. Catharines and Port Colborne.

The area was settled in 1788 by Loyalists. The growing town was later named Merrittsville, after William Merritt, the initiator of the Welland Canal project. Welland gained its present name when it was incorporated as a town in 1858. It became a city in 1917.

The Welland Canal, connecting Lakes Ontario and Erie, passes through the Welland. Its southern (Lake Erie) terminus is about 100m higher than the northern one at Lake Ontario. The Canal has 8 Locks with the width about 24m and the length from 233m to 250m. It takes ships an average of about eleven hours to traverse the entire length of the Welland Canal.

We visited Welland in June 2018.



1 / 2
120 Main Street E; Courthouse, 1866.
Main Entrance Colonnade Pendant.
Courthouse


2 / 2
1932 Welland Canal Parkway.
Canal Museum, Chandelier.
Canal Museum