Ontario:
Port Hope

Port Hope is located about 100km east of Toronto, at the mouth of the Ganaraska River, on the north shore of Lake Ontario. The area was first settled in 1793. Port Hope was incorporated as a town in 1834. Due to slow growth from 1881 to 1951, much of the town's original architecture was not being demolished in the name of progress. Port Hope's downtown is celebrated now as the best-preserved 19th-century streetscape in Ontario.

We visited Port Hope in July 2004.



1 / 13
34 South Street; United Church, 1875.
Wall Mount Light, Main and Side Entrances
United Church
Google 2014: Lantern was different.
Google 2019: Lantern the same as in 2004.


2 / 13
Ganaraska River Bridge Light Post.
Bridge aligned with Ontario Street.
Ganaraska River Bridge


3 / 13
56 Queen Street; Town Hall, 1857.
Pillar Torchieres at the West Entrance.
Town Hall


4 / 13
59 John Street; 1st Baptist Church, 1867.
Wall Mount Light above the Main Entrance.
1st Baptist Church
Google 2018: Glass globe missing.


5 / 13
86 John St; Former Upper Canada Bank, 1857.
Now a Restaurant and B&B.
1/2. Wall Mount Light, Restaurant Entrance.
86 John St.
2/2. Lamp Post near B&B Entrance.
86 John St.


6 / 13
31 Queen Street; Carnegie Public Library, 1912.
Parapet Torchiere.
Carnegie Public Library


7 / 13
Light Post at the Pedestrian Bridge.
Bridge over Ganaraska River near the Town Hall.
Pedestrian Bridge


8 / 13
21 Dorset Street E: The Bluestone House, 1834.
Porch Pendant (?).
21 Dorset St E.


9 / 13
61 King Street; House, 1859.
Porch Pendant.
61 King St.


10 / 13
51 King Street; St. Mark's Anglican Church, 1822.
Main Entrance Arch Pendant.
St. Mark Anglican Church


11 / 13
22 King Street; Doorway Arch Pendant.
22 King St.


12 / 13
4 Ward Street, House.
Wall Mount Light at the Entrance.
Google 2014: Lantern no longer exists.
House renovated, for sale.
4 Ward St.


13 / 13
33 Pine St N; St. John's Anglican Church, 1871.
1/2. Wall Mount Light at the Main Entrance.
St. John Anglican Church
2/2. Wall Mount Light above the Side Entrance.
St. John Anglican Church