Niagara-on-the-Lake is located at the mouth of
the Niagara River, across the river from New York State. It is about 50km from Toronto across Lake Ontario and about 130km from Toronto by car around the lake.
The settlement was founded in 1781 as Butlersburg. It renamed Newark and became the first capital of Upper Canada (now the province of Ontario) in 1892. The town was burnt down by Americans during the war of 1812.
The name of Niagara-on-the-Lake was adopted around 1880 as a Postal Address to distinguish the town from Niagara Falls, but officially accepted only in 1970.
Niagara-on-the-Lake is home to the Shaw Festival, featuring the works of George Bernard Shaw, his contemporaries, or plays about his era (1856–1950). Usually, we come to Niagara-on-the-Lake a few times per year to see Shaw Festival plays.
Photo caption shows date the photo of the lantern was taken.
Above Basement Office Entrance.
Chamber of Commerce Entrance.
Also Courtyard Porch Chandelier.
Also Courtyard Entrance Anteroom.