Ontario: Cobourg,
Picton, Napanee

Cobourg is located on Lake Ontario near Port Hope, 95km east of Toronto. Area was first settled in 1798. The settlement was named Cobourg in 1818 and was incorporated as a town in 1837.

Town of Picton is located about 220km east of Toronto on the Bay of Quinte on the north shore of Lake Ontario. Area was settled in 1780s by British Royalists and named after British general Picton killed during the battle of Waterloo.

Napanee is located about 230km east of Toronto on the eastern end of the Bay of Quinte. Area was settled in 1780s by Royalists and incorporated as a town in 1854.

We visited:
- Coobourg in August 2000.
- Picton and Napanee in August 2002.



1 / 6
Cobourg, 379 Division Street.
St. Michael Catholic Church, 1896.
Wall Mount Light above Entrances.
St. Michael Catholic Church.


2 / 6
Cobourg, 284 Division Street.
Trinity United Church, 1852. Rebuilt in 1901.
Wall Mount Light above the Main Entrance.
Trinity United Church
The Finial at the top of the steeple represents
a hand pointing to heaven, and serves as a weather
vane. There are only four examples of this hand in North America, all located on churches built in
the 1850's.


3 / 6
Picton, 7 Church Street.
St. Gregory the Great Catholic Church, 1892.
Wall Mount Light above the Main Entrance.
St. Gregory Catholic Church


4 / 6
Picton, 12 Chapel Street; United Church, 1898.
Wall Mount Light at the Main Entrance.
United Church


5 / 6
Napanee, 83 Bridge Street W.
Former St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, 1865.
Masonic Temple since 1940.
Wall Mount Light above the Main Entrance.
Masonic Temple


6 / 6
Napanee, 124 John Street; Town Hall, 1856.
1/3. Main Entrance, Colonnade Pendant.
Town Hall
2/3. Main Entrance Stairs, Parapet Lamp Post.

Google 2018: Lamp post no longer exists.

Town Hall
3/3. Wall Mount Light above the Rear Entrance.
Town Hall